Love is in the air!
We start Valentines Week themes tonight and also here in Canada it is “I Love Gymnastics Week” as well – so we are feeling the love everywhere!
The big thing we do at my gym this week is “I Love Gymnastics” necklaces. We do it for all classes from babies to teens. Here is the reminder poster and sample I posted up for my coaches so that you can get an idea.
Want the template for the hearts? CLICK HERE.
One of the expectations I have for my coaches is that they include weekly themes in their warm up (for age 6 and younger, at least). I let them invent their own if they are feeling innovative, but I always post a few ideas if they aren’t sure what to do. Here are the Valentines Week suggestions:
Check out the Valentine’s Songs Playlist here:
To point out a few things:
- Pink cups to be used as obstacles to step over on the beam or for games of Builder Vs. Bulldozers
- Felt hearts will be targets for feet/hands/bean bag tossing
- Extra hearts (foam) are mostly for warm up activites (or decoration)
- Balloons (with hearts on them!) for fun play!
- Heart hand stamps (the real reason kids come to gymnastics)
- Streamers for decoration, usually!
These foam hearts have a static position on each side. They can be used in a warm up game (see above) or as “flash card” practice of skills.
The half hearts on cardstock have pairs with matching stickers. Usually used for the warm up game explained above, but can be used for memory games or whatever your imagination allows! To make these, I used stickers for matching, but a little drawing (different colour hearts, even) would be just as easy.
And voila! Valentines & I Love Gymnastics week all in a nutshell! Have a LOVELY Valentines, everyone!